Sunday 8 February 2015

Revelation 3

Have you ever heard of 'Philly' more officially known as Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA? 



Could the basis of it's name be, that it was to resemble a biblical church? Find out about this church in Revelations 3. 

There was once another Philadelphia...
2011-04-18-Jordan1.jpg
Amman, Jordan's capital, once named Philadelphia (after an Egyptian conqueror), it's a modern city of 1.5 million people, overlooked by a hill full of temples and shrines dating back to the Bronze Age.  -Huffington Post

Recap 

In the last blog post we covered Revelations 2, which covered the message to four of the seven churches: Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia,  and Laodicea. Here is a summary...

Ephesus, which tested those who called themselves apostles to see if they were false, hated the practices of the Nicholations that God hated, but were lacking in love.

Smyrna, a church racked with poverty, was about to suffer persecution and imprisonment, but they were promised that if they remained faithful they wouldn't suffer the second death. 

Pergamum, characterized as being faithful, but misguided in following the teachings of Balaam and the Nicholations. They were warned to repent.



Thyatira, Characterized by love, faith, service, perseverance, and the effort to improve its efforts. They needed to stop tolerating Jezebel's false and misguiding prophesy. Jesus promised them the 'Morning Star' (his spiritual guidance) and ruler-ship of nations for those who remained faithful. 

Finally, we're in Revelations 3...

It starts with the message to the church of Sardis... Jesus says, "...You have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. (‭Revelation‬ ‭3‬:‭1‬ NIV) Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have found your deeds unfinished in the sight of my God. (‭Revelation‬ ‭3‬:‭2‬ NIV)"

"...Repent! ...If you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you. (‭Revelation‬ ‭3‬:‭3‬ NIV)" He also acknowledges that there are a few people in Sardis who have 'not soiled their clothes' and they would 'walk with him dressed in white' but for those who didn't repent he'd come for them like a thief in the night.

The next message was for the angel of the church in Philadelphia, among other things it was stated, "These are the words of him who is holy and true, who holds the key of David. What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open. (‭Revelation‬ ‭3‬:‭7‬ NIV)"

At this point I asked: "What is the key of David?" I referred to GotQuestions.org... see the answer below.

When I was about to read the message to the church of Philadelphia I thought to myself this has got to be good, in the States they name a whole city in the state of Pennsylvania  after this church. I was really impressed by the message to this church including Jesus' recognition of it's character...

"...I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. (‭Revelation‬ ‭3‬:‭8‬ NIV)."

"...Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come on the whole world to test the inhabitants of the earth. (‭Revelation‬ ‭3‬:‭10‬ NIV)"

It is reassuring.

He also promises that he will make false Jews fall at their feet, he'll make those who are victorious, a pillar in the temple of God and on them he'll write God's name, the name of God's city (new Jerusalem), and Christ's new name.

The Final message was to the church of Laodicea

Jesus says, "I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown...I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! (‭Revelation‬ ‭3‬:‭11, 15‬ NIV)

The description of the character of this church is an interesting one. This church is described as neither hot nor cold, but lukewarm in their deeds -for that reason Jesus says he is about to spit them out of His mouth (Rev. 16) They decribe themselves as rich, needing nothing -but Jesus describes them as "Wretched, poor, pitiful blind and naked." He encourage them to seek their "gold" and "white clothes" and "eye salve" from Him so that they can be rich, see and cover their nakedness. He says, "Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent."

I find that line interesting. Sometimes I felt like that myself. I felt like when I did something wrong God would discipline me. I would do the others do the same thing and come out without a scratch but when I did, I'd 'Feel It', if discipline makes you retreat back to God's shelter and loving kindness... is discipline that bad?

He continues by encouraging them to be victorious to earn the right to sit on His throne with Him just he was allowed to sit on our Father's. 

We'll see what's next in Revelations 4...

*Scriptural UsageThe Key of David is most directly referenced inRevelation 3:7, “To the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: these are the words of him who is holy and true, who holds the key of David.” The Old Testament reference isIsaiah 22:22. There, the prophet tells the palace secretary Shebna that he will be replaced by Eliakim, for God “will place on his shoulder the key to the house of David” (Isaiah 22:22). The one who holds the keys has the authority. Thus, the “key of David” implies control of David’s domain, which was promised to the Messiah in both the Old and New Testaments (Isaiah 9:7;Luke 1:32).Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/key-of-David.html#ixzz3RCB5gdSj

No comments:

Post a Comment